Friday, February 11, 2011

Sixteen through Sleep

No, I don't usually write my blogposts like big ole number lists. This is a story that began here.


16. I just had the most hilarious conversation with my doorman.
     Me: Hey there, Patrick, how are you?
     African Patrick: I'm good, I'm good. How are you?
     Me: Oh, a little sleepy but good! 
     African Patrick: You always home so very late! 
Oh, goody. Favorite doorman either thinks I'm moonlighting or a total alcoholic. 

17. Sometimes, as humans, I think we let our minds trick our hearts into thinking we're stronger than we really are.
This is not a deep philosophical thought, but just a pretty casual observation. I'm surrounded by very strong women, and I think that deep down, some of our outer strength is very superficial. As women, our job is to make it all "fine," and when its not fine, we do everything to make it look like it is. 

18. I was 100% not ready to run into the Govnah tonight.
There is an exceptionally large gathering (12K+) of like-minded politicos in town today through Saturday and given my firm's role in the event, much of our staff will be kickin' it at the venue for the next couple of days. It had crossed my mind that he'd be there, wife in tow, and a quick peek at the schedule on Wednesday confirmed both his father-in-law and sister-in-law on the schedule as speakers. That said, I love me some grassroots, but I certainly don't do the campaign scene. My personality and talents are far better suited for the fundraising side of things, so I pretty much figured I was in the clear for this particular event. That is, until I found out that as a sponsor we received lots of tickets to VIP banquets held tonight and tomorrow. Long story short, I got donors to attend which means I needed to attend. Literally, I set my foot down inside the hotel where OVER 12,000 PEOPLE ARE ATTENDING THIS EVENT and who is the first person I encounter? Joe. My heart fell out of my chest. (Thank God for small favors. I looked smokin' hot today.) He graciously introduced me to his father in law, shared the short-version of how we met, politely chatted about life, and then introduced me to the Mrs. She was nice enough but prompt forgot my name (she called me Emily. Seriously?). That part didn't hurt--it merely confirmed that this broad is dumb--the kicker was when she walked away and I looked up at him and he looked at me the way he always has. That, that took the air from my lungs. I congratulated him and then he apologized for not telling me. "Its not exactly something I could just put in a text." So, um, yeah. Not ready. Thought I was. Nope. 

19. All things considered, I'm a pretty happy camper.
And one day, I'll find someone who makes me feel all the good without all the bad. 
And if I can't find him, I'll get a puppy.

20. Sunday thru Tuesday, Mr. Media flew to visit best friend.
Mark my words, she is going to break his heart. Putting my work life and my home life in a food processor is not what I signed up for, and the more they talk, the less I feel like I can talk to either of them. Loose lips sink ships here people.

21. Tomorrow I'm off to MI to visit Ginger Beer for the weekend.
My silver lining for today. Pretty excited about this trip for a variety of reasons. One, quality time with the boy. But, in addition to getting to chill for a couple of days, I've also penciled in some time with KM and her boyfriend, and Ginger Beer's sister (who went to college with KM and I) wants to hang out on Sunday. It's like a vacation, ya know, if you're in to places like the Arctic tundra. Forecast is sunny and frigid. 

22. I've been watching old school Grey's Anatomy episodes lately.
They remind me of the first season when we all used to text furiously back and forth about the drama. I vividly remember that after purchasing the first season we had a marathon in Miss Harder's basement. Things like this make me really wish we were all together on a more permanent basis. 

23. Speaking of togetherness
I'm excited that Kailey Shea will be returning to the Mile High vicinity and very eager to hear about all of the thoughts and prayers that went into her decision to come home. What is even more exciting is that we'll all be reunited again for Miss Viki's wedding! I was thinking the other day about most of us being there, and to be honest, it just wasn't the same. 

24. These are no longer facts...they're more like chapters. Storytime. 
So, just after getting my beautiful wedding invitation in the mail (seriously, Keeks, from a design perspective they're just stunning) I got to thinking about how everyone now has these husbands and babies and serious lovers and friends that they'll bring to the wedding and really, I'll be damned if I'm going to be the dateless one. Flipping through my mental rolodex of men who are attractive-and fun-but-not-in-a-hookup-or-sloppy-drunk-kind-of-way it dawns on me that Ginger Beer's BFF resides in Denver and we're just good enough friends that he's the perfect fit for this kind of outing. I pitch Ginger Beer on said date and instead of the manly yeah-grunt, he deadpans me and asks, "Yeah, thats totally fine, but why didn't you ask me?" 
Ummm, maybe because if you asked me to fly halfway across the country to go to some stranger's wedding I'd probably tell you no! 
Long story short, him coming to Denver is a three-birds one-stone situation -- not only do GBBFF and he get a reunion, he gets to see me, and finally cross Colorado off of his to-visit list. So, surprise! You get to meet the boy in just a few short weeks. 

25. Next weekend, I'm off to NYC with Mr. Media
Strictly platonic. Fact. End of story. Done. No need to say anything further. Bottom line is he needs a "fun & sophisticated" lady to kick it with friends of his during a weekend jet up to Manhattan. Pretty pumped about this because although I could never live in New York City, its truly a very fun and beautiful place to spend a day or two. Also, Mr. Media happens to be one of my most-est favoritest people ever to bum around with. He is, hands-down, the closest thing I've found to my college boys since I migrated east. 

26. It is very late. I haven't packed for Michigan yet. And my house is mess.
Thus, its time for miss me to get some shut-eye so I can function at work in the morning. 
All my love to all of you and I'll wrap up my lllllloooooonnnnnggggggg list soon. 

4 comments:

  1. YAY! so excited to see you and meet GB asap. bust mostly that ALL will be there. hooray!

    as for the govnah and his mrs... not even worth any words.

    have a great weekend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaaa.... definitely meant "but" not bust. but that's funny stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man. i will tell you my feelings about this in PERSON. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your life needs to be a book. Especially the DC pieces of it.

    Wait no, a movie.

    But it should start back here in CO because I want Drew Barrymore to play me.

    BEYOND excited to see you soon! Soooo much catching up to do. LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete