Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Last of Them

37. I can't think of anything witty enough to explain how this feels.
I'm nose deep in Wednesday's newspaper when I peek up to check train times and catch the eye of someone familiar, but for the life of me, I simply cannot remember where I'd met him before. Train arrives, and before I know it I've arrived at my transfer station. We moved offices last month, something that probably should have made this little list, but I forgot and its not a big deal. Here I switch trains to head across the city to Capitol Hill, the neighborhood where our new place is located, and who steps on right behind me but this mystery man.
He turns to me and asks, "Do you remember me?"
Oh, oh yes. Yes I do. Suddenly, I know just who he is.
"I do," I say, laughing. "You never called."
"No! I did, I called four times. It to me a week to get up the courage and then every time I called I got a disconnected signal. After that, I had to leave town because my sister had a baby and then I quit seeing you in the mornings. I thought you gave me a fake number and then avoided me."
Well this is awkward.
He continues, "So, you're not working at Archives anymore?"
"No, no, we moved offices about a month ago and I'm up here now. Same company, but now on the Hill."
"Which building?"
"(Insert building name here.). Its a pretty awesome space; we like it a lot."
"That's my building, too!"
You've got to be kidding me. I can't remember his name from last time and I feel really bad asking... anyway, we were on the same damn train this morning and made small talk on our walk to work afterwards.
And, no. Not giving up GB, but still charmed about this whole little situation.

38. I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE YOU GUYS!
That's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment