Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A Golden Rhinosaurus

I'm mad at myself for not keeping up with this thing like I should.
No excuses. I'll try and do better.

Trying to find a place to live out here was an adventure and a half. Surviving almost solely on four-cheese flavored Cheeze-Its, Circus Animals (frosted animal crackers, which if you have not tried, do so immediately), ham sandwiches and Diet Coke my dad and I made it to St. Louis on day one and into the City on day two.

Home-hunting pretty much went as follows:

Day One -- Found two lovely town houses. One had its own bathroom, three roommates, and a beautiful kitchen. Literally a stone's throw away from the metro. The next had a shared bathroom, two roommates, terrible transportation access and a creek/running trail that ran behind it. The only problems here would be that my commute to work would average forty-five minutes, and I don't do mornings very well.

Day Two -- Oh my gosh. No I do not want to live in the basement of a retired Asian couple with a hotplate in my "kitchen" and the stale smell of geriatrics. Thank you. No.

Day Three -- Toured the token, post-college proverbial frat house. Bottles everywhere. Jersey Shore (no, for real) on the television. Five girls total, plus me. Amazing location. Metro accessible. Mall accessible. Cute house. The very first indication that there might be a problem was the giant Che Guevera poster on the wall. Whatever, I can deal with hipster illusion. One of my key questions in this whole process is, can I visitors? Most of my friends, both collegiate and otherwise, haven't spent much play time in the city, and I need them to come visit. I need my friends around me. Frat house answer? "Oh my God, like YES you can. We had this place packed five deep when all of our friends came for the INAUGURATION..." Oh. Yeah, I can't live here.

Day Four -- We've got two stops scheduled, and the second, although in a pretty prime location would make me the roommate of Ragu and Hamir. Now, I'm pretty open to whatever, but I was not looking forward to that possibility. Fortunately for me, I got to cancel my second appointment, because earlier that morning, I met MM. Shes awesome. A quiet, laid-back, San Diego transplant with good taste in music and furniture whose first roommate (and best friend from college) had signed the lease in May and walked away from it to join the convent by mid June. Yup, convent; she's going to be a nun. MM is fun, low-maintenance, loves vintage stores, and came out here in order to get as far away from home as possible. We're on the same page in a lot of respects...minus the maintenance part. (Oh trust me, I'm well aware that the comb and hairspray that reside permanently in my purse categorize me as anything but.) Our latest same page moment? Simultaneously deciding the the over-sized three dollar wooden rhinoceros sitting on our large bookcase would look better if he was spray-painted metallic gold. Yes, gold.

Like I said, so far--so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment