Sunday, September 26, 2010

Blessed like whoa

It took me about three and a half years of college to figure out what I wanted to do with my life, and even then, it wasn't really a light-bulb-esque epiphany as much as it was a gentle realization that I knew what I wanted and was lucky enough to have an opportunity to pursue it.

Despite this realization, however, I chose to apply for a variety of jobs outside of what I believe (as of today) to be my vocation. Several of these evolved into second and third interviews, and a couple of them were actually quite promising. One of these in particular was a journalism position in Ohio, I mean, yeah, it was Ohio, and I certainly liked journalism, but lets get serious, I'm not particularly passionate about the Midwest or writing for a living.

There were two positions available, and when a friend and I drove down to interview, the President offered her a job on the spot and then later awarded the second position to another friend of mine, an econ major with zero journalism experience.

I was devastated.

But God does everything for a reason.

In July, not only did I hit the jackpot in terms of doing what I love, but I also work in a genuinely amazing office. We're all pretty young. We all love the movement. Work hard, play hard. Rah rah freedom. Moreover, last night, the econ major who had landed the Ohio job with no experience Facebook chatted me to warn me that not only does she hate working there, that my other friend had quit the week before and they were again looking to fill the position.

And then it occurs to me that I'm blessed, like whoa. I love my job. I love what I do. I love who I work with. I love my friends. I love where I live. And lawyer is moving here on October 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment