Sunday, August 29, 2010

Kill all the Lawyers, Except This One

Having jetted away to college, I learned early that there are two types of long-distance friendships: those that buckle and fracture under the strain of time and the ones where the conversation always seems to pick up just where you left off.

I spent Saturday evening enjoying LK's homemade raspberry lemonade and the company of several other college friends. I haven't seen any of them since a wedding last year, but they're still like family. Our partying habits have evolved, however. Haha, I love seeing the crowd that (quite literally) taught me how to do a keg-stand, roasting marshmallows on a Saturday night. It was adorable.

Sunday, my roommate and I reunited with CK and MH to visit the DC Aquarium, and $9 later I learned that fish still swim. Post fishys, we roamed the national portrait gallery and ventured up the red line to the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception at Catholic University. There really isn't an adequate way to describe the beauty and serenity of Shrine; its simply breath-taking, and Catholic or not, its impossible not to appreciate.

So, lawyers in this town aren't really lawyers; they're lobbyists, and lobbyists are "bad." They're the guys in the perfectly tailored suits with cars and drivers, pimping the joys of tobacco and alcohol products on the steps of Capitol Hill every morning. Guns. Healthcare. Cigarettes. Booze. Pills. Food. Special Interests are all controlled by lobbying. Generically speaking, these guys are douchebags. Stay. Away. (Or, if you feel like playing around, get your gifts and then get out.) No marriage. No commitment. Just fun. But, I digress. Lawyers, as a rule are not good news, unless...you meet them by chance during happy hour with a bunch of co-workers and it turns out that they interned with the firm you worked for and now they're in town interviewing for several different positions with family organizations, as a child-advocacy lawyer. In this case, they're adorable. Correction...he's adorable. Because there's probably only one.

Things you need to know? Texas. Hot. Like two inches too short. Probably moving here next month. Great taste in music. Super sweet. Bad a text-chatting. Loves Jesus. Got my number. And held the door.

2 comments:

  1. AAAAHHH!!! love the details. need more. love YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm changing to the name of my blog to "Its not as good as Emilia's but you"ll still read it anyway, wont you?" Ha ha, you are a doll and I miss you and I freaking LOVE your blog. Love you!

    ReplyDelete