Arriving on King Street, I cabbed it down to a fabulous Irish pub on the water. Take note, cabbies are absolute babies about taking credit cards around here and it is massively annoying, but on my way to the bar, whiny-cabbie explained why.
According to him, the cab companies take their sweet time processing credit card charges. You may pop from Reagan into the City on Monday, but they won't run the card until Friday. This is problematic for two reasons. One: your driver doesn't get his share for days, sometimes weeks, after you charge a fare. Secondly, companies take care to make sure that they make as much money as possible and in doing so, have no shame in removing a credit card processing fee from the tip! Lesson learned? If you must charge a fare, at least tip your driver in cash. Crabby cabbie no more.
So, Irish Pub #1 was awesome. Cute and crowded. And the boys? They had a cold Cape Cod waiting for me. They'd been there for an hour by the time I rolled in so after a few drinks we moved on to Irish Pub #2.
This place is decked out with photos of the owner with everyone from Pope John Paul II to Ronald Reagan and despite the crappy music was awesome. Oh, and the bartender was hot. Like, really hot. The old guy crooning inside ruined the vibe so we take the party to the patio.
It's notable that these are my frat boys and while I am very much the girl who couldn't care less about vulgarity, I really don't want to deal with a fight...so when MH nudges CK, saying, "Hey, figure out who that guy is dressed up as," my mind snaps to attention. Turning to my left I spy nothing less than a post-middle age man in full colonial dress. Hat. Buckle shoes. Pipe. Kickers. Socks. A ruffled shirt he could have quite possible stolen from my closet. All of it.
"Play nice," I plead.
Ignore. "Excuse me, sir? Who are you supposed to be?"
"Well young man, I am James Madison."
...Excuse me? WHAT? Sweet Jesus. I know exactly where this is going.
"So, umm, Mr. Madison, as a Federalist, what is your opinion of modern political theory?"
Here we go.
"Well..."
About thirty minutes in to this little convo, we told Madison to pull up a chair, at which point, our dear Founding Father decided to comment on how "distracting" my legs were. Cue my getting another round...
I return to a point/counter-point on Colonial political platforms. For the visual learners in today's crowd, here's a 30-second preview of my night:
Two hours, three drinks, and one bartender's phone number later we said our goodbyes to Madison and I headed back towards the metro. Truth be told, it was the PERFECT inaugural Friday evening. Welcome to the city. More to come. Xoxo!
No comments:
Post a Comment