Sunday, August 22, 2010

From Mountains to Metro

Gazing out my window at 6am on my very first day of work, all I can see are clouds. CLOUDS EVERYWHERE! And here in my beautiful new home: clouds mean rain, rain means humidity, and humidity means that on my first day my hair will be an absolute wreck!

Even with the 3.5 hours from my-anxiety ridden-awakening-time until my delayed-first-day-start-time, there would be no way in hell that I was going to pull off a suitable hairdo.

This is quite obviously unacceptable.

Whatever. Two hours later I awoke again to put my act together for real, and rolled out the front door of my apartment building to a resounding POOF!

Me: What the eff?
God: Oh, no worries, thats just you hair exploding into a giant blonde afro frizz ball!

Mentally mixing hard lemonade out of my newly acquired lemons, I walk to the metro and stroll into work right one time. Nine million signatures later, I was done with HRs paperwork mountain, and then the real work started.

Some jobs spend hours and hours on training and shadowing, which, lets get serious (unless you're a nurse or learning a foreign language) is pretty much just a waste of everyone's time. No no, not here. Metaphorically, they attached me to a crane and dropped me into the ocean. Before the end of my first day, I had a stack of tasks for Friday and a desk all my own! I share my space with one of our marketing guys, Shatner. No, not his real name, just his nickname, but hes a dead ringer for William and that makes it funny. He's hilarious, and even better, we have the same sense of humor. We're both pretty new, so its a good time.

Day one? Awesome. Day two? Almost had a nervous breakdown at Kinkos.

No comments:

Post a Comment