Friday, May 13, 2011

Handy Men

Currently typing on a delayed plane out of Chicago (en route to Detroit). They have us kicking on the ground because a guy accidentally broke a tray table and they're required to fix it before takeoff. 

As it turns out, fix is a pretty loose term here on American Airlines. Some guy in a neon vest and blue uniform just came aboard, evaluated the situation, slapped a sticker reading, "Inoperative. Please do not use." on the tray table and then duct-taped it in place. Two words, ladies: handy man. 

It's funny too that this flight is about 45 minutes, or the amount of time it takes me to go door-to-door, home-to-work in the morning. Let me tell you, I love the house, but the new commute is a monster. Three extra metro stops makes a heck of a difference and my walk home isn't as direct as it was and I don't like that. 

New house is the entire second floor of a townhouse built in the 1800s. (Flash forward, it's now Friday and I've been back in DC since Monday) Anyway, the house is great and all, but now that I've actually been living here - it's become clear that this place is not nearly as well maintained as I had hoped. 

For one, I arrived home (not just emotionally drained but also running on a grand total of three-hours sleep) to TWO ******* ROACHES KICKING IT IN MY LIVING ROOM!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mind you, they were dead, but this definitely marks my first encounter with these things and let me tell you, I am not pleased. Landlord conveniently neglected to inform me that this was a known issue - pest control is under contract to visit once a month. They were off duty while the apartment was vacant, but came by today. I'm disgusted and mad, but so long as it's not an ongoing creepy crawly issue, I think I can handle this. Thank goodness my vacuum just sucks this effers up. Additionally, there's a few little things like cracks and seals that need to be fixed but I can probably handle those by myself. 

So now that you know about the ickies, let me tell you about all the good things! Like I said, Miss Molly and I have the entire top floor of an old town home. (She moves in next weekend.) Entering from the side, you walk up a narrow staircase; from the top, my bedroom is to your right. It's a large square shape with a faux fireplace (mantle?) and three windows that look out into the street below. Spacious closet has nothing in it yet, but I plan to finally unpack this weekend. Leave my room, walk down the hallway, and the next door on your left is Molly's room. Her lighting is kind of terrible, but her closet is bigger and she gets a whole sitting room off her bedroom!! It's very cute. Next door is the bathroom where there is a big tub. After that a living room with vaulted ceiling and finally a little bitty kitchen with a bunch of windows that overlook a shared back yard. 

The very best part is that were allowed to paint and decorate as we please. I've already re-tiled the kitchen and bathroom in my head, but that might never come to fruition. However, the next time GB is in town, you better believe that he and I will get at least one room in this place painted. Right now for the kitchen, I am thinking a navy blue sponge/swirl below a lighter blue chair rail and white top. Then a Moroccan scheme for my room: teal, gold, red, purple, etc. Lots of shiny. 

Speaking of GB, ummmmm well .... I love him. And this is quickly becoming one of those situations where when it's good, its awesome and when I have to leave, I cry. Hahaha, I so pity the two people I was smooshed between on my latest flight home, I was a mess. Our weekend was great, however; details on that are for another post. :)

2 comments:

  1. yay for the new place! pictures?! and freakin nasty about the roaches. i don't even have words. eww.

    but really... mostly goose.bumps. he loves you + you love him + we love him (yes, that enters my equation) = YAY!!!! so, so happy for you. and also... i know that crying when you have to leave crap - been there, done that. worth it in the end ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah roaches... great little buggers. and by great i mean sick. and by little i mean huge.

    pretty sure maren's equation is exactly perfect. i dunno... maybe your parents should be factored in there haha. but your mom told me she likes him, so WIN! i can't wait to talk for real!

    also i'm obsessed with the fact that your room has a mantle in it. i was just watching high school musical 3 (yes... because i own it.) and gabriella has one in her room and i was like "who has a mantle in their room? i want one!" i want to come see it. if (when?) i end up in NC, you can bet that one of my first excursions will be a little jaunt up to the DC :)

    ReplyDelete