Thursday, April 21, 2011

Headhunting

While this was probably the graduation song for every class of 1999, not to mention the cheesiest video ever made, I like it. Theres a line inside that rings especially true ... "The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never cross your worried mind, the kind that blind sight you on an idle Tuesday."


But its not Tuesday and I didn't get blind sighted -- actually, today I got poached. 

This week has been a terrible mix of  "oh-my-goodness-I-have-to-find-a-house-and-move-before-May-1-and-everything-is-so-expensive" and "they-don't-pay-me-near-enough-to-work-this-hard." A nasty combination if I do say so myself. (Finding a house [hell, an apartment] around here is excruciating. Example? Standard studio apartment on the metro line measuring a grand 300-600 square feet? $1500/mo minimum. Its absolutely outrageous. As it turns out, however, a good friend's girlfriend is moving here at the end of May so she and I have been looking for an apartment together.) 

This late great apartment search was compounded by how out-of-control work has been lately. Right now, I'm juggling three major projects, a board meeting in Chicago, and a large-scale major donor event this November (Length: Four days. Estimated revenue: Eight million dollars. "Big deal" = Understatement.) Its overwhelming. I cannot remember the last times that I was home before nine o'clock or didn't end up at the office for at least a couple of hours on the weekend. And thought I'm not particularly worried about my own job, they've fired two people and a vendor in the last month because they weren't keeping up - its enough to light a fire under you, thats for sure.

So here I am composing one of what feels like 98503984530498530485 mailings that we've produced in the last few weeks when an email pops into my account that catches my eye. Another think-tank, one which employs several (four, off the top of my head) of my friends is looking for an Event Coordinator and I'm at the top of their list of considerations. No, I didn't apply to this job, they tell me I come highly recommended.

Its at an organization that I like but don't love and its a job that takes me the sideways route to get where I want to be, but the salary is more...enough that they have my attention. Now, I work in an office that has it all -- a young and passionate staff, a mission statement that I really believe in, the capacity to make big important changes, and lest we forget, a kegerator and goldfish snacks in the kitchen.

Needing advice, I approached Mr. Media -- who is now officially dating best friend, flying regularly back and forth to see her -- a guy who has become a trusted friend and work-ally. He immediately flies into "fix-it" mode, whipping me off my feet and to the nearest Starbucks for a chat about what this means, how to handle it, and the risk I'm now in the position to take.

So, tomorrow afternoon, I will pop into the President's office and lay it out. "I've been approached by another firm about a job and though I'm not particularly interested in leaving, their proposed salary has caught my eye. I've never really had a conversation like this, but since starting in August, my job title has changed and my responsibilities have grown significantly. We don't really have standard six-month or annual reviews, so I guess it is this that has me thinking about where I can grow within the organization. Can we talk about a salary adjustment?"

Ahhh. Short, sweet, and absolutely terrifying. I sincerely hopes this swings my way, because at the end of the day I don't have any interest in moving jobs. Prayers appreciated and fingers crossed! 

2 comments:

  1. praying! and also i love you. and also thank you for helping me when you've been so busy :)

    ReplyDelete