By some strange fluke, a group of us has ended up at a local Irish pub on Tuesdays for about the last month to play bar trivia and soak up one another's company. I'm (proud isn't the right word...pleased?) to say that knowledge of the above country song landed us third place the other night. Larissa, ya feel me on this one, I'm sure, but that is not what I'm here to share today.
Given the fact that an unusually large percentage of their alumni wind up in this very city, I imagine that it one day occurred to my alma mater that erecting a building here would make sense for a variety of reasons. Three years, millions of dollars, and one large-welcome party later, it opened for business on Friday. Built to serve not only our alumni population, but also the students who venture this way to study throughout the year, its a four-story thing with classic design elements. Basement has classrooms, first floor holds a foyer and large lecture room, up the stairs are offices, third floor library, and fourth floor sitting area and rooftop terrace. Needless to say, the place is beautiful. It looks like they plucked it right off campus and nestled it here.
After a long-winded (though very rah-rah-Constitution) speech from our President, they let us loose on the place to explore and partake, and seriously, given as much money as I owe these people, the very least they can do is let me drink on them once in a while. It was fun, and a very nice opportunity to see several people who I didn't even know were here and lots of the staff with whom I spent four-years working. After the event, I ventured with a few people down to a local bar, where I though we could just catch up and grab some dinner, but as it turned out, we stumbled (not literally, at least, not yet) upon the unofficial after-party.
About thirty people from the opening, most of which were members of my very very favorite fraternity in college (read: there were only four girls there,) had come around to keep the party alive. The mix was eclectic and although I didn't know very many of the people, new friends are good! So, doing the social G&G thing, I met people, made laughs, caught up, blah blah blah.
But really, we all know that if I blogged about every time I went to a bar with people, this thing would be (a) boring and (b) full. So what happened? This! This is what happened:
Sitting to my left was a guy and seriously the first thing out of his mouth is a joke about how I was just another Hillsdale-Daddy's girl-Kappa with her David Yurman on. Three things -- I am not a Daddy's girl. I was not a Kappa. And what kind of boy knows what David Yurman is? I responded with something equally sassy, and after that we were friends. He was cute and flirty...another lawyer! OMG. They are ALL LAWYERS HERE! After the big group paid the tab, he asked me if I could join him at the bar for just one more, and being the girl who's a sucker for flattery, I did.
Our chat continued until...
"Ya, I'm really not a big fan of (insert college president's name here."
"Why? I mean, I don't love the man, but you can't deny that he's smart and good at his job."
"Well, there was just this situation once upon a time."
"Haha, what happened."
"Well... on September 11th...(voice fades)"
Ummmmm, where were you when that happened? Because if you're my age, you were definitely in eighth grade, which would make you approximately nine years younger than the boy sitting across from me. This fact is hysterical to me; I can cannot contain my laughter. Still can't, actually.
No comments:
Post a Comment