Since the March on Washington (September 12) ... ie practically the last time I blogged, there has been about 198475298475298745 interesting things have been happening in life. Heres to recording some of them.
For the last two months, our focus has pretty much been on one thing -- the election. There was one tiny little date squeezed in there, but he hasn't called, so I'm going to run with the idea that I've been given the boot. This doesn't bother me. He was cute, yes, and had the body of a guy who rowed crew in college (because, oh wait, HE DID) but seriously, short. And yeah, this is mega vain, but most recently I've learned that I don't really want to compromise on the height front. There really aren't many things I like more than my shoes, most of which just happen to add a considerable height to my frame.
Dear God, please send me a tall future husband. Pretty please. Love, me.
PS-- My life is awesome. Thank you for that. Mad props.
It makes me uncomfortable to be taller than everyone else, but particularly, boys. Anyway moving on, Halloween! Its probably in my top-two holidays, and while I was pretty convinced that the shenanigans would end after college, I'm quite pleased that they haven't. It helps that nearly all of my collegiate influences are out here -- something which I am exceedingly thankful for every time I see them. They're amazing. Together, for Halloween, we were -- hipsters, Harry & Hermione, Uncle Sam & Lady Liberty, Snookie, Rufio (from Hook!), and 80s work-out gurus. There was no trick-or-treating, just a low-key house party with plenty of candy, booze, and laughs.
Two days later, it was game time. Our Washington DC offices served as our foremost headquarters, but we had victory centers scattered all across the US -- Las Vegas, Colorado, West Virginia, Philadelphia, Florida, and South Carolina. Throughout the day, staff and volunteers made thousands of last-minute get-out-the-vote phone-calls and around 5pm the press started to filter in. Then catering arrived. Then booze arrived. Then Mr. & Mrs. Armey arrived. It was a madhouse in the best way possible. Although east-coast polls started to close around 7pm, most of the staff stuck around until well after midnight (when Alaska closed). The last of the press left at 3am...then wrote a rather amazing article about how awesome we are. It was very cool. We got a lot of great press that night, which is always nice, but my favorite aspect of all the stories that came out about us that night was that they really seemed to capture how freaking-awesome our staff really is. This wasn't a sit-around-watch-tv kind of affair, it was a rambunctious, confetti-filled, party that happened to have a focal point. We all work hard, we all play hard, and we all generally like each other. I realize exactly how few other people can say that within their profession. Time Magazine got a pretty good video of the event: http://www.time.com/time/video/player/0,32068,660683925001_2029545,00.html. Note the blue "Chops You Can Believe In" shirts. Haha, yeah, our President has lamb chops -- yeah, we put his face on a shirt. The election was a smashing success, we took back the House and knocked out some key incumbents in the process, but now the work begins.
Part of what we've been planning since September was a post-election retreat that, since its initial planning stages, has been a highly secretive endeavor. Now, event planning has always been one of my very favorite things, so needless to say I was beyond thrilled when our policy analyst tapped me to help organize the retreat. Our main objective was to bring people together to learn about Austrian economics (free-market), the DC inside-outside game, and other crucial aspects of life on Capitol Hill. The reason for the secrecy? Because all of our invitees were newly-elect members of Congress. I know, I know, that sounds like nothing that needs to be kept under wraps, but we couldn't risk getting scooped or undermined.
Anyway, the retreat took place Thursday-Friday and was nothing short of awesome. Having the opportunity to spend time with newly elect members and get to know them outside of the campaign trail and Capitol was so cool. They're so completely genuine and excited about the opportunities that lay before them. (Please note that I'm refraining from going on political blah blah here and just saying that I'm super pumped.) I'm watching the new 30 Rock as I write this, ironically enough, its a hilarious take on tea-party candidates in Congress.
I got into Baltimore for the retreat on Wednesday, and I gotta say, you know you're dropping a dump-truck full of cash somewhere when you check-in to the hotel and theres a cheese and fruit plate in your hotel room with a signed, personalized, note from the general manager. Woah.
But thats not the most awesome thing that happened this weekend.
Once Thursday morning rolled around, our entire office and most of the newly-elect members were fielding phone calls from the press about what we were doing in Baltimore, who was there, what our agenda was, why we'd kept it secret, etc. By that point, there was no reason for the secrecy anymore, so our communications director decided to handpick his favorite journalists and invite them to a press junket featuring the new members and staff on Friday.
After going through the morning program, I escorted all the new members down to the conference where CNN, FoxNews, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and the New York Times were all waiting. They chat, they woo, they do their thing -- and the next thing I know, communications director is standing in front of me being like...uhhh, are you okay with being in the NYT?
-Why?
-Well, you know how you were standing with the guy in the bowtie and Julia (the girl in the patterned wrap dress?
-Yeah...
-Well, the NYT guy leaned over to me and mentioned something about how the three of you look like you just popped out of the Kennedy administration. Then he laughed and said that the young GOP is bringing style back to the party and he wants to publish the photo.
My life is perfect.
freakin awesome. i'm speechless. and you rock. ;)
ReplyDeletebaaahhh!!! haha... not gonna lie. i have no idea what the video said because the whole time i was just watching to see if i could spot you. and i DID!
ReplyDeletehaha and that is AWESOME that you are in the nyt! especially because it's for your style! i would expect nothing less :)
isn't this blog supposed to be anonymous and secret? are you allowed to put videos on here? i like it, but just wondering...
love you!
Shut uuuppp! You have the most perfect Emilia-Life everrrrr! Thanks for the update! I am glad things are going so well. And I cant wait to see you when you come back to visit! I love you!
ReplyDeleteAnd PS, the short rower is only the tip of the ice berg... be patient. He is coming. I can feel it.